Friday, May 18, 2018

A beautiful anecdote shared from a Veteran

Forwarded as received:::

"I had a very emotional encounter recently and ..allow me to share the same with you all... Last month my hubby and I decided to visit one of my father's old friends living in Delhi.

He is a retired officer from the Indian army...very fine couple...well spoken ,very well read and widely travelled. 

They had a son who they lost during the Kargil war...but they never show any trace of pain on their face...it appeared as if everything in the garden is lovely...but the deep set wrinkles on aunty’s face tell a different tale altogether.

Countless jokes of uncle,humor packed texture of his conversation does a brilliant job camouflaging their pain with grace and elegance. We had a wonderful time spent with them since they are old associates of my dad (he is from Indian army too)my hubby had a gala time revising the old memories of his yongster days ,uncle and aunty told some very funny incidents and I kept laughing like a fearless kid.

Soon their care taker served us neatly organised tea...and with each simmering sip came even more interesting chain of events from uncle’s well preserved memory bank. I was wondering as to how could they talk endlessly... without even a small pause...but soon I realised the reason ,I didn’t have to do a double take on that.The reasons were but obvious.

After we were done with tea,I got up to collect all the cups and the other things to keep in a tray so that I could keep those back in the kitchen....BUT I was stopped by a very authoritative and strong voice...

”NOO,Please do not move those cups from there”

I was astounded by his reaction...was taken aback..and looked at aunty if I had ruffled his feathers by any action of mine..my heart was in my mouth..literally
But then..aunty looked at uncle and said softly..”tusi bhi na....bacche nu dara ditta..thora aram naal bhi keh sakde ho”

Uncle realised the sudden change in his voice....and very sweetly he sat next to me....held my hand...and kept his right hand on my head... And what he spoke after that...made me cry from within...it was so painful, simple yet so profound..

Softly he spoke” beta ji...in cups ko aise hee rehne do..subah tak nahi uthayenge....kuch toh ehsaas hoga ki zindagi yahan ayi thi...the house always remains spic n span...nothing is moved or disturbed and is kept as it is.....but hum taras jate hain....ki koi toh ghar ko ganda karne wala ho..so let the cups stay that way...we will cherish the sight of it..and promise me that you will visit again with your sons..”

All I could do was ...to hug him and assure him to be back with my sons.

I like my house to be neatly organised and make sure my boys follow the suit too...but unfortunately my younger one still believes in living like a caveman ...so as usual...when I was lecturing him today after seeing the plight of his room..

I got reminded of this episode...and suddenly..I stopped lecturing him..and gave him a suffocating hug...leaving him confused to the core.

I think taking out an hour in a month to visit your parents,relatives or old friends doesn’t cost us an arm and a leg..all it takes is a few stolen mins from our lives..

न मिट सकेंगी ये तन्हाईयाँ मगर ऐ दोस्त,  

जो तू भी हो तो तबियत ज़रा बहल जाए."

(Source : ViaGp e-mail from Lt Col S Sangha (Retd) ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment