Saturday, June 11, 2016

JABALPUR WAR MEMORIAL CORPS OF SIGNALS WAR MEMORIAL AT JABALPUR

The Signals War Memorial in Jabalpur Cantonment is dedicated to the Personnels of Corps of Signals who have laid down their lives in service of the Corps and Country in the pre and post-Independence era including World War I and II. The Signals War Memorial was erected on the Parade Ground of 1 Military Training Regiment of 1 Signal Training Centre, and dedicated to the Nation at a solemn ceremony on February 13, 1961 during the Golden Jubilee Corps Reunion.

The walls of the War Memorial list out the names of martyrs in 1947- 48, 1961(Goa), 1962, 1965, 1971, 1987 (Siachen), 1987-88 (Sri Lanka), 1999 (Kargil), and other operations. The Signals War Memorial has a 305 cms high wall made of Katni stone and a matching base. The column mounts the original Corps Badge (Emblem) of the Indian Signal Corps in brass and Dedicatory Plaque with the inscription 'IN MEMORY OF THE THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE SERVICE OF THE COUNTRY'.

As a matter of Corps custom, only white roses are grown and floral tributes of white roses only are paid. In Feb 1970, the current Emblem of the Corps was mounted beneath the old one. This memorial adorns the Parade Ground of 1 Military Training Regiment in Anderson Lines that has,  since  1920, been  watered  by  the  sweat of the recruits who join the  Corps. It is on this Parade Ground, in the shadow of this symbol of supreme sacrifice that they pledge their loyalty to the Service of the Nation. For all these ceremonies, the Roll of Honour is brought ceremoniously and kept at the foot of the War Memorial to enliven the memory of our brethren who have made the supreme sacrifice as their contribution to the Defence of the Country.

The war memorial was renovated in 2006 and inaugurated by the then SO-in-C and Senior Colonel Commandant during the 13th Corps Reunion.
3 comments:
Anonymous said...
Hello Every body especially all veterans of Signal Pariwar and my Sincere thanks to Brig. Narinder Dhand for giving me an opportunity to post few lines in this blog. I am the son of Ex CHM CH Peter No.6244239 Corps of Signals a world war II veteran DOE 08.6.1942 & Dt of Discharge: 08.6.1967 (incl).His date of Birth is 22-06-1922 and going to enter into his 95th year on 22.06.2016.He is presently residing at Plot No. 7-64P, Ex-Servicemen Colony, Balaji Nagar, Secunderabad-500087. He has serviced in 1MTR Jabalpur as DHM/CHM and probably his photo is displayed in the training centre for for a glance for waring uniform (as informed by my father).

He remembers a lot about his yound days and also the Wars he participated. My request to the blogger is that if you can please kindly send Greetings from your side so that he spends his remaining days in memory of your last days appreciations. I shall be highly thankful to you and all Signal pariwar for doing so.
Sincerely,
C George S/o Ex CHM CH Peter
09711632842
Dear Sgt George,

I just spoke to you on phone, 
It was nice of you to have apprised us of our grand Veteran CHM Peter, your Father.

As I had said that we will surely do the needful.
 

Here is a mail I received from Col KP Rao (Veteran) from Secunderabd,

" Hi Narinder,

Spoke to Co & Adjutant xxx Sig Regt. Greetings being sent to him with Flowers and Cake by the regiment today. His son's contact number is given to them.
 

Col. K. P. Rao, (Retd.)

Sparrow's Nest, B-154, 3rd Main Rd, Sainikpuri, Secunderabad,TS, 500094. Cell:+919440047971 "

We will place the photos here on this web.

This proves WHAT A SIGNALS PARIVAAR WE ARE,
 
TEEVRA CHAUKAS AND LONG LIVE CORPS OF SIGNALS

Brig Narinder Dhand (Veteran)
Anonymous said...
Dear Brig NK Dhand Saab, hearts up to you.

I pay my sincere thanks for considering my request & for posting the same in your Blog.

Firstly, as you said, as his son, I was amazed by the affections showered on us and my heart filled with great joy by this act and I am sure My Dad will be more joyous when you all meet him and talk to him. Please note down his contact No.s 040 20080784, 09493677871.

Sir, after seeing your posting many Col's, Brig's and even some Maj Gen's called me up and enquired about himand sought his contact details.

Really Sir, I can't express my gratitude and what shoiuld I say...there are no words to express for your graciousness. Sir, your are now a "God Father Figure"throughout our country and pay you thanks for creating this Universal Blog/platform for the welfare of all exservicemen especially for "Signal Parivaar".

Sir, Now,even those who forgotten my father started remembering him and calling me up & telling me that when he is to give Command in Drill,tntire Training Centre (ie 1 MRTC) is to wake up and start telling "Sher jag gaya...utoo...utooo" and words like that. HOW Great...!
 

Finally I pray to God that he should bless u more and more with all wisdom, energy and strength to serve entire "Signal Parivaar" and Once again thanks for creating this universal Blog.

With Sincere Regards,

Ex Sgt C George
09711632842
(SOURCE- SIGNAL PARIVAAR BLOG AND AS INFORMED BY SGT C GEORGE)


2 comments:

  1. karunakaran a ex havildarJune 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM

    I am also an ex cipher havildar, have served for the period from 09 oct 1972 to 31 dec 1990, though I am life member of signal magazine, unfortunately I am not in receipt of regular edition, I do not know what happens. nostalgia is still haunting . I have requested and sent e mail to join reunion . hard luck none remembers the old signaller

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'Spirit de Corps' expressed by the Signal community is quite pleasant. I wish the Corps of EME emulate same with their own veterans. In the Corps of EME this core aspect was existent but now it seems blurred to a large extent. Even though I am a life member for the EME Journal, in spite of my many representations with my complete details to MCEME, Secunderabad, they fail to oblige me with the EME Journal. They must be writing off their veterans in the name of 'value engineering.' All hopes lost, I shall fade away from their records on my own. Jai Hind. (Irrelevant is my intrusion in this veteran remembrance topic, but pain of neglect forced me to pour out to few empathisers).

    ReplyDelete