Thursday, July 28, 2011

Life Certificates required to be submitted by Pensioners to PDAs – Yearly every November :Pension Payment Guidelines for PDAs - Certificates required to be submitted by Pensioners to PDAs


a. Life Certificate Yearly every November

b. Certificate of non re-marriage From widow recipient of Family Pension at the time of first payment

c. Certificate of non marriage/ remarriage Half yearly in May & November from unmarried daughter recipientor widow/widower.

d. Certificate of non-employment / re-employment Half yearly in May & November except employed Family pensioners.

2. Officers Authorised to sign Life Certificates : Life certificates issued/signed by one or other of the following authorities/persons can be accepted:-

-A serving or pensioned person exercising the powers of a Magistrate under the criminal procedure code (Act-V of 1898).

-A registrar or sub-registrar appointed under the Indian Registration Act 1908 (XVI of 1908). A Gazetted Officer.

-A Munsif.

-A police officer not below the rank of Sub-Inspector in charge of Police station.

-Master, a Departmental Sub-Post Master or an Inspector of Post Office.

-Officers of the RBI and other PSBs in respect of pensioners drawing pension from Banks.

-The head of the village Panchayat, Gram Panchayat or Head of an executive committee of a village.

-Retired Commissioned Officers of the Armed Forces in respect of pension bill form IAFA-319 of Commissioned Officers, departmental Officers and Warrant Officers.

3. Identification of Pensioners Identification of the pensioner is an important step before making payment and the PDA is personally responsible for proper identification and payment to the correct person. For the purpose of identification, the signature, photograph and other identification marks as recorded in the descriptive roll/identification documents are to be carefully verified. No payment should be made without proper identification. In the case of a new pensioner, he/she has also to produce his/her personal copy of the letter from the Pension Sanctioning Authority/Head of the Office informing about the grant of pension to him/her. In case of a commissioned officer, he has to produce the last pay certificate or in its absence, a declaration in the prescribed form.


The PDA will invariably verify the photograph of the Officer and specimen signature.


The PDA should verify the genuineness of the pensioner from the descriptive roll/joint photograph received from Heads of Offices/Record Offices.

FOR FAMILIES OF All types of pensioners

The PPO issued by Pension Sanctioning Authority indicates entitlement in respect of family pension to the widow/husband consequent on the death of the pensioner. The applicants are required to furnish application for grant of family pension in prescribed form along with death certificate of the pensioner. The PDAs should personally verify the genuineness of the rightful claimant with reference to available document before the payment is made. In case there is any doubt, the matter should immediately be taken up with Pension Sanctioning Authority for clarification. Payment of family pension should not be made unless genuineness of the rightful claimant is established beyond doubt.

Exemption from Personal Appearance : Exemption from personal appearance is permissible in the following cases:

--Pensioners desiring to draw his/her pension through authorised agent. For this the pensioner has to execute Indemnity Bond, and to submit life certificate once in a year.

--Pensioners of rank (high status) such pensioners may be privately identified by PDA and he need not be required to appear at a public office.

--Pensioners exempted by Local Govt. for personal appearance such pensioners have to produce life certificate in 6 months.

--Pensioners unable to appear in person due to bodily illness or infirmity. Such pensioners have to submit life certificates in 6 months.

--Severely wounded and infirm pensioners, subject to production of life certificate.

--Female pensioners who are not accustomed to appear in public. She has to produce life certificate and non-re-marriage certificate.

--Children owing to illness and very young children subject to production of life certificate signed by the official of the Revenue department.

--Armed forces pensioners(PBOR) re-employed in various institutions such as Railways, Mills or private firms of Standing, etc. subject to production of life certificate and authority for payment to a representative.

--Armed forces pensioners (other then those mentioned in clause(viii) above subject to production of life certificate once in six months on IAFA-409.

--Gorkha pensioners living in Nepal or a pensioner in Bhutan and is physically unable to draw pension in person, payment may be made through a PD in India or Indian Embassy, Nepal to a representative who produces the pensioner’s pension certificate &life certificate on IAFA-409.

--Armed forces Pensioners residing in Pauri Garhwal and Chamoli districts. Such pensioners will be required to make one journey with his representative to the Pension Disbursing Authority and state personally to him that he desires his pension to be paid in future through the representative. The PDA will record the identification mark of the representative who will be permitted to draw the pension on production of pensioner’s certificate and life certificate signed by either two male armed force pensioners or by a pensioned Officer.

--Pensioners drawing pension through Money order.


  1. how about a person on visit abroad unable to submit personally the life certifcate? what are the options?

    1. Just go to indian ambasy snd get your life certificate stamped and sign.

  2. My father has submitted the Life Certificates for his Pension on November 2011 but the State bank Of India Khamaria(Jabalpur , M.P.) branch has misplaced the certificate now my father has not received the pension what should I do ?
    Please mail me

  3. can defence pensioners settled abroad draw pension abroad ? if yes what is
    the procedure.