Monday, March 29, 2010

Military flounders on family accommodation for jawans - Out Of Almost 2 Lakh Units Approved,Only 42,000 Built In 8 Yrs

New Delhi: Leave alone supersonic fighter jets or complex ballistic missile defence systems, the defence establishment seems incapable of even providing something as basic as decent family accomm-odation to its armed forces. Even as the defence ministry (MoD) flounders,deadlines after deadlines of the much-touted married accommodation project (MAP),touted as a major welfare measure for soldiers, airmen and sailors,are being missed with huge cost escalations. Consequently, while officers have it relatively easy,the majority of jawans are forced to stay away from their families for prolonged periods, which is one of the factors cited for the high levels of mental stress prevalent in the forces. Incidentally, the 13-lakh strong armed forces record over 120 suicide and fragging cases every year. MAP was conceived a decade ago to ameliorate some of the hardships faced by jawans since there was limited housing available for married personnel.Though the aim was to construct just 1,98,881 new dwelling units,in four phases at an estimated cost of Rs 17,357 crore,it was considered to be a good beginning.
But it has flattered to deceive.In May 2002,the Cabinet Committee on Security approved construction of 61,658 dwelling units under Phase-I,which were to be finished by 2005-2006. Eight years later, even after the number of units to be constructed was reduced to 58,391 in 86 military stations at a cost of Rs 5,329 crore,Phase-I is yet to be completed.Only about 42,000 units are ready till now, said an official.

The less said about Phase-II the better.Under it,66,727 units have to be constructed in a compressed timeframe by March 2012.It will simply not be possible, he said. MoD,on its part,says Phase-II will not be branched off to PSUs,like it was done in Phase-I.Defence minister A K Antony has directed senior officials to ensure strict adherence to the March 2012 deadline. While 75% of the work in Phase-II will be executed directly by the directorate general of MAP,the other 25% will be handled by MES (military engineering service),to avoid slippages and cost escalations. But given the track record of both MAP and MES till now,the timely execution of Phase-II,at a cost of Rs 9,938 crore,is likely to remain a mere pipedream. Moreover, no definite timeframes for Phase-III and IV,under which over 70,000 units are to be constructed,have been chalked out in detail.MoD officials, however, said, the government has agreed in principle to combine the last two phases to complete the entire MAP at the earliest.

Pipe Dream

Initially,1,98,881 dwelling units were to be contructed in four phases for Rs 17,357 crore Under Phase I,61,658 units were to be completed by 2005-2006 Though the no of units in Phase I was reduced to 58,391,they are yet to be completed Under Phase II,66,727 units have to be constructed by March 2012 No definite timeframe for Phase III,IV either.

1 comment:

  1. Useful information ..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us this useful information.Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.